- 1 medium head of radicchio (about 1/2 pound), cored and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 1 small head of escarole (about 1/2 pound), cored and cut crosswise into 1/4 -inch ribbons
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pancetta (2 ounces)
- 1 Granny Smith apple—peeled, cored and cut into 2-by- 1/4 -inch matchsticks
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, toss the radicchio, escarole, sunflower seeds and tarragon.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate. Add the apple and shallot to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and boil. Pour the hot dressing over the greens, add the pancetta and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.