Warm Corn Chowder Salad with Bacon and Cider Vinegar
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 side-dish servings
In this riff on corn chowder, the Beekman boys toss corn, potatoes and bacon with cider vinegar. They grow at least five varieties of sweet corn each summer, and they're always coming up with new ways to use it. Because the corn for this salad is barely cooked, it's best to use the juiciest kernels available.
- 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces), cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately low heat, stirring a few times, until it is crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until they start to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes longer, until almost tender. Add the diced red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and stir in the onion, cider vinegar, crushed red pepper and bacon. Season the salad with salt and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.