Warm Coffee Custard with Raspberries
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
More Delicious Ideas for Coffee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup coffee beans
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 pint raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter four 6-ounce ramekins and set them in a small roasting pan. In a medium saucepan, combine the cream with the coffee beans, ground coffee, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Bring the coffee cream to a gentle simmer over low heat. Turn off the heat and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain the cream into a clean medium saucepan. Whisk in the cinnamon and cardamom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the egg and the remaining sugar until blended. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the warm coffee cream until blended, then whisk in the rest. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and whisk over moderate heat until hot; do not let it boil. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve set over a large glass measuring cup. Pour the custard into the prepared ramekins. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the side of the ramekins. Bake the custards for about 40 minutes, or until just set. Transfer the ramekins to plates and let cool to warm. Serve topped with fresh raspberries.