- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large egg whites
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 5-cup soufflé dish and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
- In a large saucepan, melt the chocolate with the 5 tablespoons of butter over very low heat, stirring constantly. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until thick and pale, about 4 minutes. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- In a clean bowl, using clean beaters, whip the egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat until the egg whites are glossy, about 1 minute. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and pour into the soufflé dish. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, until the soufflé is risen, cracked and slightly jiggly. Carefully transfer the soufflé to a trivet and serve right away.