Warm Chocolate Cakes with Mascarpone Cream
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, plus shavings for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup mascarpone (8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- About 1/2 cup brandied cherries or kirsch-soaked sour cherries
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat six 6-ounce ramekins with butter, and dust lightly with flour. Set the ramekins on a sturdy baking sheet. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the butter; let cool.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the eggs, yolks and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chocolate, then fold in the cake flour just until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes have risen, the tops are dry and the centers are slightly jiggly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the cream with the vanilla seeds, brown sugar and lemon zest until soft peaks form. Add the mascarpone and lemon juice and beat until blended.
- Run the tip of a small knife around each cake to loosen it, then unmold onto plates. Spoon the mascarpone cream onto the cakes and garnish with the brandied cherries and chocolate shavings.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.