Warm Camembert with Wild Mushroom Fricassee
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Daniel Boulud makes this oozy appetizer with Vacherin Mont-d'Or, a creamy cheese sold at top cheese shops.
Easy Way Camembert is as rich and runny as Vacherin Mont-d'Or, but much easier to find.
More Mushroom Recipes
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- One 8-ounce wheel of ripe Camembert in its wooden box, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 3/4 pound wild mushrooms, trimmed, caps thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large sage leaves, minced
- Sourdough toasts, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnut pieces on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Lower the oven temperature to 300°.
- Remove the Camembert from the box and unwrap it. Put the cheese back in the bottom half of the box and set it on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the walnut oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 minutes longer. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and sage; season with salt and pepper.
- Invert the Camembert onto a platter. Stir the walnuts into the mushrooms and spoon over the cheese. Serve with the toasts.
A light, fruit-driven red from France's Burgundy region.