- 3/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced in a food processor
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored, coarsely shredded and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels; reserve 1/4 cup of fat.
In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter in the bacon fat. Add the Brussels sprouts in batches and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened but still bright green, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the apples and thyme; cook, stirring, until the apples are warmed through. Transfer the slaw to a platter, scatter the bacon on top and serve.