Warm Blueberry and Mango Compote
- SERVINGS: 4
This fruity compote can also be served with pancakes or waffles or even as a topping for angel food cake. If mangoes are unavailable, substitute nectarine or peeled peach slices. Be sure to taste the compote before serving; you may need to stir in a little more sugar, depending on the ripeness of the fruit.
- 1 medium mango
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Peel half the mango and cut 1/2-inch-thick lengthwise slices down to the pit. Cut crosswise to release the slices. Repeat the process with the other half, then cut the mango slices into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the mango, blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, candied ginger, and lemon zest with 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until the fruit is softened and the liquid thickened, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.