© Miki Duisterhof
Warm Apple and Dried Cherry Crisp
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Set a baking sheet on the bottom of the oven to catch any spills. In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats with the brown sugar, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon and the salt. Add the melted butter and toss until evenly moistened, then pinch the topping into large crumbs.
- In a bowl, toss the apples with the cherries, granulated sugar, honey, lemon juice, nutmeg and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Spread the apples in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Scatter the crumbs over the apples all the way to the edge. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the apples are tender, the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden. Let rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
Make AheadThe baked crisp can be refrigerated overnight and rewarmed.