Walnut Cake with Cinnamon Glaze
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Tom Valenti was inspired to make this breakfast cake by a holiday memory that has nothing to do with breakfast: "When I was a kid, a huge bowl of mixed nuts would always appear on the table at Christmastime." Add a scoop of ice cream and the cake becomes a delicious dessert.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup crème fraîche (8 ounces)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan. Spread the walnut halves in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, then beat in the crème fraîche. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed. Fold in the walnuts.
- In a clean bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Beat one-third of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert the cake onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar with the half-and-half and cinnamon. Pour the glaze over the cake, allowing it to drip down the side; let cool until set before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.