- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces (about 6 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (1/2 pound) dried cranberries
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream, whipped with 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cranberry-Orange Compote
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the egg yolk mixture and pulse just until the dough can be gathered into a ball. On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough into a 6-inch disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Let the dough soften slightly at room temperature before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13-inch round. Transfer the dough to an 11-by-1-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing it evenly into the pan and fitting together any cracks. Trim the dough flush with the rim and freeze the tart shell until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Line the shell with foil and fill it with pie weights, rice or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes, or until set. Remove the foil and weights and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until golden. Immediately brush the hot pastry with the beaten egg white and set the shell aside.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes; let cool before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, butter, flour, Grand Marnier, orange juice concentrate, orange zest, vanilla and salt until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the dried cranberries and the cooled toasted walnuts.
- Pour the filling into the tart shell and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the filling is puffed, set and lightly browned. Let cool completely on a rack. Unmold before serving. Pass the whipped cream and Cranberry-Orange Compote separately.