Waldorf Salad with Roasted Grapes
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
More Great Salads
- 1 1/2 pounds red seedless grapes, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head green leaf lettuce (1 pound), torn into large pieces
- 1 cup tender inner celery rib slices, cut 1/2 inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Put the grapes on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the skins start to wrinkle. Meanwhile, spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, vinegar, granulated sugar, mustard and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the celery, walnuts and grapes. Add the dressing and toss well. Serve right away.
Wine is made from grapes so, of course, its flavor has an innate grapiness. But in some wines, like Pinot Gris, that characteristic is more dominant. Pair this flavorful salad with a Pinot Gris from Oregon.