© Kana Okada
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
At Home: $5 per person Streamline the ingredient list to lower the cost: This recipe calls for about half the ingredients.
- 3 chicken breast halves on the bone, with skin (about 14 ounces each)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnut halves (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 Fuji apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces mesclun salad greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Make 3 deep slashes in each chicken breast. In a small bowl, mash the garlic, fennel, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the oil. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and into the slashes. Transfer to a small roasting pan, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Roast the chicken for about 40 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool slightly, then discard the skin and thinly slice the meat.
- In a food processor, blend the vinegar with the mustard and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Blend in the cheese and buttermilk. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lemon zest and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the walnuts, grapes, apples, celery, mesclun, parsley, tarragon and chives. Add the dressing, toss well and serve.