- 3 chicken breast halves on the bone, with skin (about 14 ounces each)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnut halves (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 Fuji apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces mesclun salad greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
How to make this recipe
Make 3 deep slashes in each chicken breast. In a small bowl, mash the garlic, fennel, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the oil. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and into the slashes. Transfer to a small roasting pan, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until browned and fragrant. Let cool.
Roast the chicken for about 40 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool slightly, then discard the skin and thinly slice the meat.
In a food processor, blend the vinegar with the mustard and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Blend in the cheese and buttermilk. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lemon zest and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the walnuts, grapes, apples, celery, mesclun, parsley, tarragon and chives. Add the dressing, toss well and serve.
Internal Server Error