- 4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium glass or ceramic bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt are thoroughly dissolved. Season to taste; the sauce should be piquant and flavorful.
This isn't really the sort of sauce you lick off your fingers. It's designed to be a counterpoint to the richness and fattiness of pulled pork.