- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen baby peas (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 pound firm tofu or Homemade Paneer with Indian Flavors, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
How to make this recipe
- In a large deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, garam masala, salt, cayenne and turmeric and cook until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook over moderately high heat, shaking the pan often, until golden all over, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add the tofu to the curried vegetables along with the peas. Cover and cook over low heat until the peas are tender and warmed through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve hot.
The mild heat of this curry calls for a simple white wine with just enough aromatic fruitiness to balance the spice. Look for a California Viognier.