Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN plus freezing
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup ground Vietnamese coffee
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan, combine the whole milk, condensed milk, ground coffee and salt and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve lined with several layers of moistened cheesecloth.
- Return the steeped milk to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until slightly pale. Gradually whisk in the hot milk; refrigerate until cold. Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker. Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
Serve With Vietnamese Profiteroles with Coffee Ice Cream.