- 3/4 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges, for serving
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces rice vermicelli
- 4 pieces leftover Oven-Fried Chicken— bones and skin discarded, meat shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 cups mixed herbs, such as cilantro, basil and mint
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the sesame seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a food processor. Add the oil, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and 3 tablespoons of water. Puree until smooth and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, soak the rice noodles in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse the noodles under running cold water to cool; drain well. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, carrot, herbs and two-thirds of the sesame sauce. Season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Serve the noodles topped with the chicken salad, along with lime wedges and the remaining sauce on the side.
This intensely herbal salad is a good match for a lively, slightly herbaceous South African Sauvignon Blanc.