- SERVINGS: Makes 2 dozen shortcakes
These buttery, luscious, melt-in-your-mouth cakes come from The Bathers Pavilion restaurant in Sydney.
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus about 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup store-bough lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, stir together the cake flour, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and the cornstarch.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the dry ingredients. Spoon the dough into nonstick mini muffin pans with cups about 1 inch deep. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Let the shortcakes stand for about 10 minutes, then make a 1/2-inch indentation in the center of each with the handle of a wooden spoon. Carefully turn the cakes out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Dust the cakes lightly with confectioners' sugar, then fill each with 1 teaspoon lemon curd.