- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Vidalia or other sweet onions, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons raspberry or red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- Soak the black-eyed peas in warm water to cover for 1 hour. Drain.
- Put the black-eyed peas in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add the potato and 1 3/4 teaspoons of the salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the peas and potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in the pea and potato mixture, the bell pepper, parsley, basil, chives, vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Serve at room temperature.