- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds young carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon vermouth
- Salt and white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the carrots and cook over moderately high heat until beginning to soften. Add the vermouth, 1 tablespoon water and salt and white pepper. Reduce the heat, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes; add more water if necessary.
- Increase the heat to high and add the brown sugar. Toss constantly until the carrots are slightly browned and glazed, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.
Contributed By Photo Published February 1996