- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- One 4-ounce can olive-oil-packed sardines (120 grams)drained, boned and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 20 minutes. Add the sardines and water and cook, stirring, until hot, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and simmer until the sardines dissolve into a thick sauce, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and add the spaghetti to the skillet. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce and season with salt. Transfer to bowls and serve at once with freshly ground pepper.
A fresh, crisp, dry white from the Veneto region has enough acidity to highlight the sardines in this pasta. Consider a Soave.