Velvety Leek Soup
- SERVINGS: 8
An easy way to remove the grit from leeks is to chop or slice them, and then soak them in a large bowl of cold water. Lift out the leeks, leaving the grit behind.
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 11 medium leeks (white and light green parts only), 9 chopped and 2 thinly sliced crosswise for garnish
- 4 medium white onions, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 8 small parsley sprigs
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter in 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add the chopped leeks and onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender.
- Return the soup to the saucepan. Stir in the milk and cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until bubbles appear around the edge, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the sliced leeks and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the leeks, chives and parsley and serve.
A white blend from Penedés, Spain.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.