Vegetarian Red Curry Noodles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This dish is a great showcase for the flavors of Southeast Asia: It's spicy, tart, creamy and slightly sweet. Use the extra curry as a marinade or pan sauce for chicken or pork.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 Thai chiles, minced
- 3 stalks of fresh lemongrass, inner bulbs only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 pound thin dried Chinese egg noodles or spaghettini
- 1 small red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, shallots, chiles, lemongrass and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the aromatics are softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the brown sugar and coriander and cook until the sugar is melted, about 20 seconds. Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and blend until pureed. Blend in the lime juice and fish sauce. Scrape the sauce into a glass measuring cup and season with salt and pepper. Leave the skillet on the stove.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and blanch until bright green, about 40 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a plate to cool. Add the noodles to the pot and cook, stirring, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Add 1 cup of the curry sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the noodles, snow peas, red pepper, cabbage and carrot and toss well to thoroughly coat the noodles with the sauce. Add some of the reserved cooking water if the noodles seem dry. Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.
A Riesling from Australia's Clare Valley is a terrific complement to this dish, echoing its richness and standing up to its spice.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.