Vegetables à la Grecque
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
In France, vegetables prepared à la Grecque ("in the Greek style") are cooked with vinegar or lemon, olive oil and coriander and other seasonings, then allowed to marinate in the refrigerator and served cool. The vegetables can be served as a first course, maybe with a slice of pâté, or as a piquant accompaniment to cold roasted meats or poultry.
More Vegetable Dishes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1 1/2 pounds medium onions, cut into eighths
- 12 ounces small white mushrooms, quartered
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large, deep skillet, combine 1/2 cup of the oil with the wine, water, vinegar, coriander seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, fennel, thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the carrots. Cover and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and mushrooms, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are crisp-tender, 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and peppercorns before serving.