- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1 1/2 pounds medium onions, cut into eighths
- 12 ounces small white mushrooms, quartered
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep skillet, combine 1/2 cup of the oil with the wine, water, vinegar, coriander seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, fennel, thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the carrots. Cover and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and mushrooms, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are crisp-tender, 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and peppercorns before serving.
The vegetables can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.