- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 cups finely chopped green cabbage (1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound green beans, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 long hot green chiles, thinly sliced crosswise on the bias
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
How to make this recipe
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the mustard seeds and cook over high heat until they pop, about 1 minute. Add the curry leaves and crushed red pepper and cook until the leaves sizzle, about 30 seconds. Add the cabbage, carrots, beans, onion, coconut, green chiles and turmeric and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes. Continue cooking over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and serve.
Off-dry German Rieslings offer everything one needs to pair with intensely spiced Indian dishes like this one: low alcohol levels, high acidity, a touch of residual sugar and plenty of fruit.