- SERVINGS: Makes about 9 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium leek, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or a pinch of dried thyme
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot. Add the mushrooms, celery, onion, leek, tomato and garlic and cook over high heat, stirring, until the vegetables begin to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, salt and 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours. Strain the stock.
Make Ahead The stock can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 1 month.