Vegetable Stock for Risotto
- SERVINGS: MAKES 7 CUPS
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium onions, quartered
- 6 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium shallots, quartered
- 1 small white turnip, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine all of the ingredients with 11 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain the stock into a clean saucepan.
Make Ahead The stock can be made up to 3 days ahead; refrigerate and cover. Or freeze for up to 1 week. Serve With Pumpkin Risotto.