- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 8 thick slices multigrain bread
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 ripe avocado, preferably Hass, sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, dill, mustard, oil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread a tablespoon of the dill sauce on one side of each of four slices of bread. Top each slice with lettuce, provolone, tomatoes, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, the cucumber, onion, avocado, and sprouts. Drizzle another tablespoon of dill sauce over each sandwich. Cover with the remaining four slices of bread.
If raw onions have too much of a bite, tame them by rinsing the slices under cold running water or soaking them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes. Pat them dry before putting them on your sandwich.
The grassy, herbal flavors of Sauvignon Blanc marry beautifully with dill. With this sandwich, the lighter and crisper the wine, the better the match will be. A Sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé from the Loire Valley in France will do nicely.