Vegetable Pad Thai with Peas, Carrots and Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
It’s easy to vary this vegetable pad Thai: Swap in snow peas or sugar snaps for the sweet peas; add some julienned bell pepper in place of the carrots.
- 1/2 pound dried pad Thai rice noodles (banh pho)
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or chile-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, such as shiitake and cremini, stems removed and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups julienned carrots (from about 3/4 pound carrots)
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, plus thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- 1/3 cup frozen sweet peas
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup ground roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, for serving
- Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover with very hot water. Let soak until just pliable, about 15 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain the noodles in a colander, shaking off excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the fish sauce with the oyster sauce, sugar and Sriracha.
- In a large nonstick wok or skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shallots, and mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and carrots and stir-fry until soft, 2 minutes. Add the noodles, the 4 scallions and the peas and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the noodles to one side of the pan and add the eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nearly set, about 1 minute. Toss everything together. Add the sauce and stir-fry until the noodles are evenly coated and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pad Thai to a platter. Garnish with the bean sprouts, peanuts and thinly sliced scallions and serve with the lime wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.