- 1 pound dried somen
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, seeded and coarsely shredded
- Toasted sesame seeds, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the somen until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under lukewarm water. Shake well and transfer the somen to 4 soup bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce with the sesame oil and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the zucchini, season with salt and cook over high heat until softened and just beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the carrots and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the zucchini. Add the scallions and toss. Mound the vegetables on the noodles and drizzle the soy mixture on top. Garnish with the cucumbers and sesame seeds and serve.
Delicate, floral white, such as a Vermentino.