- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and quartered crosswise
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat or nonfat Greek yogurt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup finely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes and carrots with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and carrots and return them to the pan. Cook over low heat until dry, 2 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the vegetables.
Add the scallions, yogurt and cheese to the mashed vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Continue to mash until the ingredients are combined. If the mixture seems dry, add more yogurt to moisten. Serve right away.
For an elegant side dish, omit the carrots, scallions and cheese and add chopped fresh dill or chives to taste. One serving: 129 cal, 3 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 22 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 5 gm protein.