Vegetable Fried Rice
- SERVINGS: 4
While Wesley Snipes was recently shooting a movie in Montreal, his partner at China One restaurant, Donna Wong, came to visit from Los Angeles. "The first thing he said to me was, 'Didn't you bring me some Chinese food?' I had to go marching around Montreal, looking for vegetable fried rice for him," Wong recalls. Snipes adds a kick to his favorite China One version by stirring in a little hot mustard.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup snow peas
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice, preferably leftover
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard and water; let stand for at least 10 minutes. In another small bowl, combine the soy sauce, salt, sugar and sesame oil.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and carrot and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the oil, swirling to coat the pan. Stir the eggs and add them to the wok. Let the eggs cook without stirring until the bottom is set, about 20 seconds. Stir until very loose large curds form, 10 to 20 seconds longer. Scrape the eggs onto a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the wok and heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil to the wok and heat until shimmering. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrot, mushrooms, rice, scallions and water chestnuts to the wok and stir-fry until heated through, about 4 minutes. Stir the soy mixture and drizzle it over the rice mixture. Add the scrambled eggs and toss gently but thoroughly. Transfer the fried rice to a bowl and pass the mustard separately.
An Oregon Pinot Gris won't overwhelm the delicate flavors in this dish.