- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 5 oregano sprigs
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 2 small artichokes
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 heads of garlic, 1/4 inch cut off the tops
- 1 lemon, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 Cubanelle pepper, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 cup dried Black Mission figs (5 ounces), stemmed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 6 wedges
- 1/2 pound large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces kale, stemmed and leaves quartered
- Toasted pine nuts, chopped fresh oregano, lemon wedges, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and sherry vinegar, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Using kitchen twine, tie the rosemary, oregano and thyme sprigs into a bundle. With a serrated knife, cut off the top third of the artichokes. Snap off the small leaves from around the artichoke stem. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scrape out the hairy chokes and discard them.
- Turn a 6- to 61/2-quart slow cooker to high and set the timer for 6 hours. Add the artichokes and the next 17 ingredients, up to and including the cherry tomatoes, then add the herb bundle; spread the ingredients in even layers. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours.
- Stir the stew gently and add the zucchini, yellow squash and kale, stirring to submerge them in the liquid. Cover and cook for 2 hours longer.
- Discard the herb bundle, season the farro stew with salt and serve with the garnishes at the table.
Herb-scented, light-bodied Italian red.