- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces snow peas (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
Heat a wok until very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of the canola oil and when it is nearly smoking, add the sliced onion and chicken strips. Stir-fry over high heat until the chicken is lightly browned in spots but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the fish sauce and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Scrape the chicken onto a medium plate and wipe out the wok.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Add the broccoli, celery, snow peas, garlic and ginger and stir-fry over high heat until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Return the chicken to the wok along with any accumulated juices. Add the <em>sambal</em> and hoisin and oyster sauces and stir-fry just until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Add the bean sprouts, basil and lime juice and toss well. Transfer to a bowl and serve right away, with steamed jasmine rice.
Crisp Vermentino from Italy.