- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and very finely minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (fresh, if in season, or canned)
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces medium firm tofu, diced
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small pot, combine the basmati rice and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and light brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, cardamom pods, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, garam masala and sea salt and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the tofu, raisins and slivered almonds.
Put half of the rice in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Next, layer in half of the tofu, the rest of the rice and finally the remaining tofu.
Cook, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.