© Phoebe Lapine
Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Coconut
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Coconut milk creates a creamy texture without the use of dairy in this simple vegan soup.
Slideshow: More Vegan Recipes
- 2 tablespoons coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Two 15-ounce cans pure pumpkin puree (or 4 cups fresh roasted pumpkin)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- One 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Sauté the onion over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the pumpkin, stock, coconut milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the soup coats the back of a spoon. Puree using an immersion or stand blender until very smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the coconut over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with the toasted coconut.