Vegan Pad Thai
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The tamarind in the stir-fry sauce gives this pad Thai—made without any meat or eggs—a real depth of flavor. For more protein, add some crispy tofu just before serving.
- 1/2 pound dried pad Thai rice noodles (banh pho)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or chile-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups julienned carrots (from about 3/4 pound carrots)
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup ground roasted peanuts
- Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover with very hot water. Let soak until just pliable, about 15 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain the noodles in a colander, shaking off any excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the brown sugar, tamarind paste and Sriracha.
- In a large nonstick wok or skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, shallots and carrots and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the noodles and scallions and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and stir-fry until the noodles are evenly coated and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pad Thai to a platter. Garnish with the peanuts and bean sprouts and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.