Vegan Banana-Walnut Muffins
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 9 muffins
These simple vegan muffins are moist, with irresistibly crispy edges.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour, preferably Bob's Red Mill (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, preferably Bob's Red Mill (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (from 1 large banana)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light agave nectar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (3 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 9 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed banana and applesauce with the brown sugar, oil, vanilla and agave. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated, then stir in half of the walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each one three-quarters full. Top with the remaining walnuts. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the muffins are golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool slightly before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.