- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced assorted mushrooms (shitake, cremeni, trumpet, portabella)
- 4 6-ounce thinly sliced veal cutlets, pounded to 1/4 inch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup veal stock or 1/2 cup chicken stock mixed with 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
How to make this recipe
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown on the edges. Remove from the skillet and set them aside.
Mix the salt and pepper with the flour. Dredge the veal in the flour and shake off any exccess flour.
Add the chopped shallots to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Do not brown them, just cook the shallots enough to be transparent.
Add the thyme to the shallots. Then add the marsala and reduce the liquid to just a small amount coating the bottom of the pan, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the stock. Then reduce sauce to half its volume, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream.
Return the mushrooms to the pan. Return the veal to pan and coat with the sauce.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper as needed.