- Four 10- to 12-ounce veal rib chops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium sweet onions, such as Maui or Walla Walla, sliced 1/2 inch thick and
separated into rings
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large green (underripe) organic mango, skin on, finely shredded (about 2
How to make this recipe
Season the veal chops lightly with salt and pepper. In a large shallow dish, combine 1/2 cup of the olive oil with the chopped parsley, garlic and thyme. Add the veal chops and coat well. Let stand at room temperature for 4 hours.
In a very large shallow dish, arrange the tomato slices and onion rings in slightly overlapping rows. Tuck the basil and parsley leaves between the tomato and onion slices and season lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and let stand at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Scrape most of the marinade off the chops. Grill over a medium-hot fire until browned and still pink in the center, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; let stand for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix the vinegar with the sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, toss the mango with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
Set a chop on each plate. Spoon the tomato-onion salad alongside and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with the green mango and serve.