Veal Chops with Chorizo Stuffing
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
These luxurious chops, stuffed with a brilliant combination of sliced mushrooms, sausage and pecorino, can only be improved by one thing: a side of crispy and creamy fried polenta.
- One 3-ounce dry-cured chorizo
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large white mushrooms, ends trimmed, very thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 packed cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup coarsely shredded young pecorino cheese, such as Pecorino Toscano
- Four 1-pound veal rib chops, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1/2 cup fruity Pinot Noir
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chorizo and simmer over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chorizo to a plate and let cool. Thinly slice the chorizo crosswise, then coarsely chop it.
- In a medium skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Add the leeks, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the spinach and stir just until wilted. Transfer the stuffing to a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a thin, sharp knife, cut a pocket in each veal chop: Insert the blade 2 inches into the center of the chop, cutting horizontally from one side to the other without cutting completely through. Generously fill the chops with the stuffing and secure the openings by threading them closed with bamboo skewers. Break off the ends of the skewers that protrude from the meat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in each of 2 large skillets. Season the veal chops with salt and pepper. Cook 2 chops in each skillet over moderately high heat, turning once, until nicely browned, about 9 minutes. Transfer the skillets to the top and bottom racks of the oven and roast the chops for 5 minutes. Turn the veal chops, switch the pans between racks and roast for 5 minutes longer, or until just pink. Transfer the chops to a warmed platter.
- Pour off the fat from each skillet and set the skillets over moderate heat. Add half of the Pinot Noir to each skillet and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Pour the wine from one skillet into the other and simmer for 1 minute. Add the Marsala and stock and simmer until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the butter and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skewers from the meat. Spoon the pan sauce on top and serve with the Fried Polenta with Fresh Corn.
Dark, intense Pinot Noir, such as one from Burgundy.