- 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce and chocolate sauce, for serving
- In a small saucepan, cook the butter over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the butter is nutty-smelling and golden and the foam subsides, about 5 minutes. Pour the brown butter into a heatproof bowl and stir in the granulated sugar. Let cool slightly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the brown sugar, almond meal and salt. Stir in the brown butter mixture until evenly moistened crumbs form. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and, using your hands, press the crumbs into an even layer a scant inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Break the dough into small chunks and bake for 20 minutes, until it is golden and slightly dry. Let cool, then serve the crumble over vanilla ice cream with caramel and chocolate sauces.
The crumble can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.