- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- MAKE THE SUNDAES Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan set in a larger pan of simmering water; stir until smooth. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the water with the sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the melted chocolate and espresso dissolved in water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until a deep-amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Using a wet pastry brush, wash down any crystals from the side of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully stir in the cream and butter; the sauce will bubble up. Cook the caramel sauce over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the ice cream into sundae glasses or bowls. Top with the hot fudge and caramel sauces, sprinkle with nuts and serve.
The hot fudge and caramel sauces can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Rewarm them before serving.