Vanilla Gelato with Peaches in Balsamic Vinegar
- SERVINGS: 8
Pouring balsamic vinegar over fruit is a secret from the kitchens of Modena, the Italian city where the vinegar originated.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ripe peaches or nectarines, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, 1 cup of the milk and 1 cup of the sugar. Warm over moderate heat, stirring, just until steaming.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the remaining 1 cup of milk until smooth. Slowly pour in the hot cream, whisking constantly, until combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Strain the custard into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a bowl, combine the peaches with the balsamic vinegar, the pepper and 1 tablespoon of sugar and let stand for 10 minutes; add more sugar if necessary. Divide the peaches among 8 bowls and top with scoops of the gelato. Spoon the balsamic sauce on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.