- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ripe peaches or nectarines, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, 1 cup of the milk and 1 cup of the sugar. Warm over moderate heat, stirring, just until steaming.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the remaining 1 cup of milk until smooth. Slowly pour in the hot cream, whisking constantly, until combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Strain the custard into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a bowl, combine the peaches with the balsamic vinegar, the pepper and 1 tablespoon of sugar and let stand for 10 minutes; add more sugar if necessary. Divide the peaches among 8 bowls and top with scoops of the gelato. Spoon the balsamic sauce on top and serve.
The vanilla gelato can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 days.
Cooking Club Tip: If you don't have time to chill the custard in the refrigerator before making the ice cream, strain it into a stainless steel bowl and set it over another bowl full of ice water, stirring constantly. The custard should cool down in a matter of minutes.