- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Although he and his father, Don, work at different ends of the food business, Alex Roberts sees similarities. "There's a thread that runs in our family: We love to work hard, we love to work with our hands, but our work is also creative." These double-corn crêpes, the result of Don and Alex's hard work and creativity, are made with masa harina (a corn-based flour) and filled with corn-flecked mashed potatoes, then broiled until crisp on top.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup instant masa harina (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the milk, flour, masa harina, sugar and salt until blended. Let the batter stand for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, cover the potato with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and return to the saucepan. Shake the pan over high heat to dry the potato, about 20 seconds; transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and mash until it's slightly chunky. Stir in the 1/2 cup of cream.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the corn is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the scallions. Stir the corn mixture into the mashed potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet and rub it with vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the crêpe batter, swirl to coat the bottom and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned on the bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Carefully turn the crêpe over and continue cooking until brown in spots, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat to make 7 more crêpes.
- Preheat the broiler. Reheat the potato-corn filling in a microwave oven for 45 seconds. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling onto one side of each crêpe and fold the crêpes in half. Transfer the crêpes to a baking sheet and brush the tops with cream. Broil until browned on top, about 10 seconds. Place the crêpes on plates, sprinkle with the cheese and serve.