- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 pounds pork spareribs
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, preferably one aged for at least 5 years
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, kosher salt, fennel, black pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, crushed red pepper, coriander and allspice. Rub the spice paste all over the spareribs and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Arrange the ribs on a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan, meaty side up. Roast the ribs for 2 hours, or until tender.
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with the balsamic vinegar and broil 6 inches from the heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut between the ribs and serve.
A slightly spicy medium-bodied red with low acidity or a lighter-bodied Sangiovese-based red like Chianti.