© Jonny Valiant
Tuscan Kale alla Parmigiana
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Inspired by his travels through Italy’s Emilia-Romagna region, Michael Tusk created this decadent side dish. It’s so cheesy and rich, it almost makes creamed spinach seem virtuous.
Slideshow: Best Kale Recipes
- 3 pounds Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves coarsely shredded
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Pinch of finely grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the kale until tender, 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze the kale very dry.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until nearly reduced by half, 25 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Add the kale and simmer until it is coated in a thick, creamy sauce, 7 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese, transfer to a bowl and serve.