- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Su-Mei Yu roasts cauliflower with spices and slivers of kumquat. The turmeric, white peppercorns and coriander seeds are beneficial to the respiratory and circulatory systems; the kumquat, with its sour and bitter tastes, warms the chest and eases coughs.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 3-pound head of cauliflower, cored and separated into 1-inch florets
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 4 kumquats, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small skillet, toast the coriander seeds and peppercorns over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool completely. Grind the spices to a powder and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the olive oil, garlic, turmeric and crushed red pepper.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the cauliflower with the olive oil mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and roast for 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender; scrape the cauliflower into a serving bowl. Add the shallot rings, kumquats and cilantro and toss well. Serve hot or warm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.