- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
In this delicious side dish, Sai Viswanath seasons cauliflower with turmeric and ginger as well as mustard seeds and chile pepper (as cooks do in southern India), then oven-roasts them (a northern Indian technique). Tossing the cauliflower with tomatoes is an American influence, since Indians use tomatoes primarily in sauces.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head cauliflower (2 1/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch florets
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix the oil with the tomato, mustard seeds, jalapeño, ginger and turmeric. On a large, rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets with the flavored oil. Season with salt and spread the cauliflower in an even layer. Roast for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and barely tender. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.